FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Eternity and a Day"
Part 1
by hitchhiker
Disclaimer: The usual. The characters and Roswell don’t belong to me, but to WB, etc. I’m only borrowing them for a while!
Summary: SPOILERS FOR SEASON FINALE, SO DON’T READ IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW!!!
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This fic is purely a response to what I’d read in the spoiler section of Crashdown. It’s got nothing to do with how the actual episode will turn out. I just had to get this out of my system after I’d read about the end. Hence this fic. The title is taken from the film of the same name by the Greek director, Theo Angelopoulos. The film itself has got nothing to do with M&M or Roswell, but I just watched it and it put me in a mood. Feedback welcome. Distribution, ask first.
He loved her too much to let her get hurt, he’d said. So he was going just like that. To fulfill his destiny, and the destinies of the others who depended upon him. And where was hers? Still in Roswell, New Mexico. Was she going to let him leave just like that? Yes, eventually. She loved him too much not to let him. But now, she was going to claim all of their lost eternity in the one day they had.

***

Michael opened the door for Maria and saw her standing there dressed in a blue-green tank top and cut-off jeans, with the red lace bra. So she remembered. It was what she’d worn on the night of the heatwave, that first time, when he was suddenly drawn to her like a moth to a flame. He still remembered staring at her through the window, remembered the way she looked, the way the perspiration made her skin shine, the way the heat had made her flush. He’d wanted her then, as he wanted her now. So he covered her mouth with his like he’d done at the time, their kiss long, deep and all-consuming. And like that night, she jumped into his arms, up on her haunches, wrapping her legs around his waist. Staggering with her weight, he lifted her up to support her, and slammed the door shut.

Inside his apartment, they were all arms and legs and hands and lips, clutching and clawing, nipping and nuzzling. No words were necessary. What they had to say they said with lips and hands and eyes. Eyes that bore deep into the other’s soul, lips that claimed the other’s for their own, and hands that mapped and traced, so that each one would remember.

All night and all day, Michael and Maria made love until they were both spent, and then made love again. Sometimes fast and furious, venting their desperation; sometimes soft and tender, seeking solace and comfort. In perfect synchrony they moved, each sensing what was unspoken, understood, seeking to soothe the dull ache that consumed them, to ease the thirst, the need, the yearning. When the day ended, he held her close and said, “I’ll never truly be gone.” She drew him in tighter and said, “Then I’ll never truly be left behind.” What had she said that day to Liz? That Michael was the real thing, that it was like every cell in her body felt the same cell in his? Well, she would always feel that way now.

***

The next day, she was at Liz’s place, holding her friend and letting her cry. They had gone. All three of them. Michael, Max and Isabel. She smoothed Liz’s hair back and said things will look better tomorrow. Would they? She thought so. Her own eyes were dry, she couldn’t explain it. Maybe because she’d had her eternity with Michael.

As she felt Liz’s sobs subsiding, she tucked her friend into bed and pulled the covers over her. But she would wait till Liz was really asleep before she left.

Then, she felt a hand on her shoulder. It was Alex. He leaned down and whispered for her to go home. He would watch Liz. Smart, dependable Alex. Trust him to know.

Maria let herself into Michael’s apartment. It didn’t feel vacated. All his things were still there; empty Tabasco bottles, some drawings cast aside, a pile of shirts in a corner. Her things were there too, mixed up in all of his; some books, her oils, a hairclip or two. She didn’t need special powers to feel a memory flash with each object.

And all of a sudden, she felt exhausted, the energy drain from her. She walked into his bedroom and sat on the bed for a minute before curling up against his pillow. As she breathed in his scent, she closed her eyes and let the tears come.

*end*

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.